Thursday, January 6, 2011

Options


I have just finished my second three month internship. In total I have now been working for free for 6 months. I thought that at this stage there might be a few job openings, but it would seem the only job companies want to offer graduates is internships.


I'm not against internships. I think it's a good way of getting experience when you are in college. It helps you to meet people in the industry and you learn tonnes. But companies offering internships in Ireland forget that an internship is actually quite a difficult under taking. You are expected to be thankful for your internship and delighted to have been given the chance to work for free.


An internship in Ireland is not like an internship on the telly. You work your bum off. You feel under appreciated and over worked. You do the same work as a full time paid employee in the company and don't get paid for it. It financially ruins you. Ireland is an expensive country when you're working, try living here when you're working for free.


I am not prepared under any circumstances to take another internship position. After six months of working for free I have paid my dues. This decision has left me with little options.


I can either immigrate or go on the dole.
SOUND

No comments:

Post a Comment